I know it is said every year, but I am truly astonished at how quickly 2014 passed us by. I am grateful for every triumph and every obstacle. Thank you to everyone that was part of this crazy year for me, especially my family and friends! I was very fortunate to learn a lot about the world and myself. Here are just a few of those things!
- Time waits for no one. I will never be “ready” for certain life challenges. Life will happen to all of us whether we’re ready for it to or not.
- Letting go is essential for moving forward. I don’t mean to get all Iyanla Vanzant on you, but life becomes so much easier the second you let go of negative energy. I’m a grudge holder. It’s not my best quality, but one that I am trying to work on. 9 times out of 10, the person or thing you keep dwelling on is not thinking about you. Annoying, right? Pro tip: Write a letter to that person or thing, and then burn it. Let your feelings go up in flames along with the angst filled note. Play some Dashboard Confessional or My Chemical Romance in the background for the drama.
- “No one wants you to be yourself. They want you to be the version of yourself that they like.” This quote is pretty straightforward. We are constantly changing as well as the people that surround us. The more I evolve into my own person, it is clear that I can’t please everyone. Not everyone will appreciate my every flaw, but what’s important is to love those flaws on my own
- No one is as happy as they seem on the Internet. They just aren’t! That’s what filters and #hashtags are for: fake happiness. So don’t get caught up in someone’s Facebook status or seemingly perfect Instagram selfie. You’re doing just fine.
- People in your life come and go for a reason. This one is always tough for me. I have to remind myself of it every year. Not everyone is meant to be in your life! It’s also not your responsibility to try and keep them in your life. Allow life to happen and stop beating yourself up over it. I think it’s okay to miss those people, but don’t let it stop you from being open to new relationships!
- Asking for help does not make you weak. Repeat this to yourself and ask for the support you need. No one should have to journey through this life alone.
- Laughter cures all. Okay, laughter cures most things. Like a bad day, heartbreak, or even loss. Watch your favorite comedy sketch or funny movie and allow the laughter to take over.
- Admit when you’re being a little shit. I take pride in being self-aware and sometimes*, I can be annoying. It’s fine to admit. I’m 99.9% sure that at some point in your life, you’ve been annoying too. Admit it, do something about it, and move on.
*My little brother will argue that “sometimes” is actually “all the time
- Choose whom you tell things to, wisely. Not everyone has your best interests, so be careful. Whether it’s gossip or just good news, running your mouth always finds its way back to you.
- Stop taking the people that love you for granted. They won’t always around, so be appreciative of your support system. Not everyone has one.
- Staying inside on a Friday night is okay. BEING ALONE CAN BE SO EXCELLENT. Why do we constantly feel the need to be doing what everyone else is doing? The “turn down” is real in my life.
- Going out on a Friday night is okay. LEAVING THE HOUSE CAN ALSO BE EXCELLENT. This is something I constantly have to remind my introverted, anxiety ridden, indoor loving-self.
- You won’t always get what you want, and sometimes that is for the best.
- Life can be awesome if you let it be.